This is the everything-you-need-to-know-to-be-as-healthy-as-possible newsletter, brought to you by Kristy Russ, pharmacist and health consultant. I have close to 20 years experience in helping people improve their health. I specialize in nutritional medicine, which is the secret of "true" preventative medicine. Yes, if I'm successful in getting people to follow my advice, I will put myself out of a job.
For even more information go to
If you like this e-zine, do a friend a favor and pass it along.
If a friend DID forward this to you and if you like what you read, please
Fish Oil Supplements
Until You've Read This...
Okay I'm cold! Summer is officially done. No more working on the patio in the glorious sunshine. Now I'm snuggled under a blanket, with my fuzzy slippers on and drinking tea and I'm still chilly! Just think, only 8 more months of this... :(
Remember last e-zine which was inspired by my pharmacy customer who had started taking the omega-3 supplement I recommended to her and was amazed that her asthma and eczema had improved?
Well, here's an update: this is the first fall in years that she hasn't had to go to emergency because of an asthma attack (it's usually exacerbated by fall allergies)- she hasn't even needed her rescue inhaler yet and despite the low humidity now, her eczema hasn't returned either.
Yep. Omega-3's are that important- whether you have health issues or not. (You just notice the benefits more when you have issues that need clearing up.)
As promised, here's the conclusion about why to choose your omega-3 supplement wisely...
In the last e-zine, I talked about the excellent health benefits of omega-3 fatty acids. Increasing your omega-3 intake not only improves cholesterol levels, insulin sensitivity and mental function, but it decreases inflammation (the underlying issue in the majority of health problems).
Click here to remind yourself of why it's so important.
The problem is, unless you eat 3-4 servings of fatty fish per week, you're not getting enough and you need to supplement. (And by the time you get to the end of this e-zine, you'll understand why eating that much fish may not be the best option anyway.)
BUT you need to be so careful which omega-3 supplement you choose.
First of all, you want to supplement with JUST omega-3. Not omega-3 & 6 or omega-3,6,9. Like I said in the last e-zine, we already get WAAAAY too much of the other 2. The health benefits happen when you balance out the amounts, so if your supplement also has omega-6 & 9, you're increasing that imbalance.
Second, flaxseed & flaxseed oil is not a sufficient omega-3 supplement. While it IS a source of omega-3's, there's no way of knowing how much your body is actually getting. Flax contains alpha-linolenic acid, which needs to be converted by your body into the usable forms of omega-3's (DHA & EPA). Unfortunately, that conversion is a very inefficient process and can be interfered with by many other foods and medications, so there's no way of knowing how much you're getting. Fish oil has DHA & EPA in it all ready to be used by the body.
So taking a fish oil supplement is the best way to make sure you're getting omega-3's in the amounts you need for good health.
Here's the problem with fish and fish oil supplements though:
Lead, mercury and PCBs are concentrated in the fat of fish (because there's so much of it in our water), so when you eat it or they make fish oil capsules out of it, you're getting all of that with it. I'm sure I don't need to tell you about the many health problems related with these toxins.
Most fish oil supplements don't even address this issue, but now that more people are aware of this problem, some have started to use misleading labels.
Even if it says that it's "Guaranteed Toxin Free", it just means that it's below acceptable safe levels. Newsflash: there is NO safe level for these toxins. Even small amounts can cause future health problems.
There are regulations that state that the toxin levels have to be under a certain amount, but the actual amounts in the product can vary significantly between batches. It's also up to the manufacturer to meet these quality standards- nobody actually checks them to be sure.
Do I need to remind you of the woefully inadequate quality procedures of most supplement manufacturers? Click here to see the back issue that deals with supplement quality.
In March 2010, a lawsuit was filed in California against manufacturers for not adhering to these standards. Some had up to 10 times the "acceptable limit" of these toxins!
The most unfortunate thing is that people are taking these supplements, thinking that they're doing something good, but meanwhile they're loading their bodies with toxins.
This is an excellent example of why you need to find supplements manufactured by a company with integrity and excellent quality control procedures. A poor choice may not only be completely ineffective, it may actually be harmful!
That's why the only fish oil supplement I ever recommend is "Biomega by Usana Health Sciences. Here's why:
- They distill every batch of Biomega 3 times to remove ALL toxins.
- They test EVERY batch to ensure that it truly is toxin-free.
- They are regularly tested by independent laboratories to guarantee that they're meeting these claims.
- I have found that their integrity and commitment to quality in all products is unmatched by other manufacturers, so I trust their products wholeheartedly.
Don't risk your health by taking fish oil/omega-3 supplements made by manufacturers that choose profit over quality & safety.
Click here to order Biomega and start reaping all the health benefits of omega-3 supplementation.
Because Laughter Really IS Good Medicine...
The Washington Post's Mensa Invitational invited readers to take any word from the dictionary, alter it by adding, subtracting, or changing one letter, and supply a new definition.
Here are the winners:
1. Cashtration (n.): The act of buying a house, which renders the subject financially impotent for an indefinite period of time.
2 Ignoranus : A person who's both stupid and an asshole.
3. Intaxicaton : Euphoria at getting a tax refund, which lasts until you realize it was your money to start with.
4. Reintarnation : Coming back to life as a hillbilly.
5. Bozone ( n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future
6. Foreploy : Any misrepresentation about yourself for the purpose of getting laid.
7. Giraffiti : Vandalism spray-painted very, very high
8. Sarchasm : The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.
9. Inoculatte : To take coffee intravenously when you are running late.
10. Osteopornosis : A degenerate disease. (This one got extra credit.)
11. Karmageddon : It's like, when everybody is sending off all these really bad vibes, right? And then, like, the Earth explodes and it's like, a serious bummer.
12. Decafalon (n.): The grueling event of getting through the day consuming only things that are good for you.
13. Glibido : All talk and no action.
14. Dopeler Effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.
15. Arachnoleptic Fit (n.): The frantic dance performed just after you've accidentally walked through a spider web.
16. Beelzebug (n.): Satan in the form of a mosquito, that gets into your bedroom at three in the morning and cannot be cast out.
17. Caterpallor ( n.): The color you turn after finding half a worm in the fruit you're eating.
What's New at
Low Glycemic Diet
Not only is eating a low glycemic diet the healthiest way to eat, it is truly the most effective AND, more importantly, permanent weight loss diet you could ever do.
Check out my new web page
Antioxidant Discussion Forums
Create your very own webpage on my site! (Don't worry- you don't need to know anything about how to do it. If you can type, done!) If you have an interesting story to share or have a comment or question about a topic on the site, you can post it right onto the website. Read about how others have been affected by antioxidants, make a comment on someone else's submission or post your own.
It's fun. It's free. And you don't have to register for anything.
Click here to post your own story, comment or question.
Here are links to informative and/or interesting news articles on nutrition...
Diet during pregnancy and early life affects children's behaviour and intelligence.
Oats and their role in human health: a review of the evidence
Zinc deficiency may contribute to Alzheimer's and Parkinson's
Could niacin be the fountain of youth?
Vitamin B may reduce risk of stroke
Comments? Ideas? Feedback? I'd love to hear from you. Just reply to this zine and tell me what you think!
See you next month...
Good Health to You,
Kristy Russ, BScPharm
Pharmacist and Health Consultant
P.S. Give your body the best nutrition possible. You'll not only feel better now, but you'll also have that quality of life in the future that you've always imagined for yourself. Click here to find out more.